- Diese Veranstaltung hat bereits stattgefunden.
COVID-19 Webinar: Relocate, Repurpose, Reorganize
29. Mai 2020 / 13:00 – 15:00
A webinar of the European Health Property Network hosted by Ramboll and walkerproject
29 May 2020, 13:00 – 15:00 CET
As the COVID-19 epidemic unfolded across the world, healthcare systems were required to make radical adjustments to their operating procedures, their models of care and their hospital capacity in many areas, including intensive, respiratory and critical care.
A short desktop review of the different tactics deployed reveals that all over the world similar patterns have emerged, ranging across: creating new hospital buildings in very short timescales, ensuring the physical separation of different cohorts of patients at entry points and in ward areas, repurposing operating theatres as ICUs, turning microbiology labs into COVID-19 testing centres, redesigning inpatient and outpatient environments, rethinking office, logistics and catering spaces to ensure social distancing for staff and patients, erecting temporary structures in car parks and adjoining land, and moving major items of equipment (e.g. oxygen tanks, ICU support, construction materials), among a myriad of fast adaptations.
As the underlying concepts and assumptions were necessarily uncertain (in the face of a new pathogen with unknown pathology) and solutions had to be found at speed, we would like to kick-start some learning by taking the opportunity to compare and contrast the different arrangements.
- To compare and contrast the different strategies used to increase hospital capacity to diagnose and treat patients during the first wave of COVID-19 in early 2020.
- To deepen understanding of the choices taken in terms of design, engineering, processes and planning.
- To derive common elements and success factors of the measures taken.
- To identify areas for further research and publication in terms of standardization of pandemic care units.
Agenda & Case Studies
We are pleased to present the following case studies as a departure point for the discussions:
- Introduction from Jonathan Erskine
- COVID-19 capacity management: the example of the Swiss canton of Fribourg, Switzerland – Daniel Walker & Christophe Vetterli
- NHS Louisa Jordan Hospital, Scotland – Susan Grant & Michael Cassells
- OP Huddinge, Karolinska University Hospital, Sweden – Charlotte Ruben & Björn Holmström
- Alternate Care Facility Suburban Collection Showplace, USA – John Avdoulos & Camilla Moretti
- Design Strategies for the Covid-19 Pandemic.: Hospital del Mar and CareBox, Spain – Raffaella Scorziello
- Audience questions and discussion, led by Flemming Schmidt and Micha Kämpfer
- Final remarks and next steps, Jonathan Erskine
- Jonathan Erskine, Executive Director, European Health Property Network
- Daniel Walker, Managing Partner,Founder of walkerproject
- Christophe Vetterli, Partner, walkerproject
- Susan Grant, Principal Architect,Health Facilities Scotland
- Michael Cassells, Principal Architect, Health Facilities Scotland
- Charlotte Ruben, Architect, Partner atWhite Arkitekter
- Björn Holmström,Medical doctor, Karolinska University Hospital
- John Avdoulos, Architect & Office Director, HKS Architects
- Camilla Moretti,Architect & Director of Planning, HKS Architects
- Raffaella Scorziello, Project Director, Pinearq
- Micha Kämpfer,Partner,walkerproject
- Flemming Schmidt,Global Market Director, Hospitals, Ramboll
Do you want to be a part of it? We are happy to have you on board – whether you are a member of EUHPN or not. Please fill the registration form until May 28 to receive the participation link. Participation is free of charge.
Too late! Registration is no longer possible.